Saturday, April 24, 2010

Roaming Around - Early Morning

After taking my breakfast, I’m now ready to visit my next destination - Post Office. I do not visit post offices in Manila, but I make it a point to send out postcards when in a foreign land. This is one way of collecting stamps on the places I have visited, and also sending out my regards to friends abroad and to my sister. Good thing that they have also an exhibit on the stamps they produced over the years.

Few blocks away is the Royal Regalia Museum. Slippers or shoes are not allowed inside (better yet wear socks so you will not feel the coldness of the marble floor ). Also, your bag, camera and camera phones will be requested to be left at their baggage bins. You can take your other valuables with you like passport or wallet.
Royal Regalia Museum
Address: Address Jalan Sultan, town centre, Town Centre
Phone: +673 222 8358; admission free
Schedule: 08:30-17:00 Sun-Thu, 09:00-11:30 & 14:30-17:00 Fri

What to see in the Museum? The list of the Sultans that head and govern Brunei. All the accessories used during the current Sultan’s coronation - from the clothes, shoes, head dress that the guards used, to the swords and different colored umbrellas that were carried, the gongs (drums) that were played and the actual chariots that were used on his coronation (1968) and his Silver Jubilee (1992).

Where is the Philippines in their Museum? I have not seen a jeepney, but found 2 gifts from us: a box made of capiz (not sure if it something like a jewelry box) with the Philippine Presidential Seal from Pres. Gloria Arroyo and a three-feet long wooden (serene) carved sword case from Pres. Cory Aquino.
On a wall, is a framed signatures of the presidents participated in the APEC Summit that held in Brunei and Australia - both were signed by Pres. Joseph Estrada.

1992 was the Sultan’s Silver Jubilee celebration, this was attended by Pres. Fidel Ramos and First Lady Ming Ramos. Their photos were very visible during the event.

After getting back my things and shoes, I have decided to go back to the hotel to take a rest and prepare for my departure in the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Apologies for the signatures on the photos, it was tagged as -taiwan, where it should be -brunei.

    You may also visit my Taiwan blog @ http://ruffeecola-in-taiwan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my travel tales! I'm a backpacker in Philippines and suitcase traveler in Asia. Love checking low fares and hotel hunting and mostly stay in the middle of the road. Addict in planning and sorting itineraries. Collection includes: paper bills, maps, photos, postcards, stamps and Starbucks mug. Travelling with Nikon D40 and Nikon J1. You can send in your questions about the places I've been to on my email address. Thanks!