Saturday, April 24, 2010

Roaming Around - Late Afternoon

After I settled my things on the hotel, I immediately grabbed my map, focus on my sense of direction asked the front desk to guide me on how can I reach the Mosque and started walking.

From Jubilee Hotel, you will see a Chinese temple, a commercial building that holds the Microsoft Office, a small clock tower (which is a very helpful landmark), a radio television station and outdoor stadium. Finally after crossing multiple roads I reached the Mosque.





Clock Tower

The traffic lights are definitely working for the cars, but the pedestrian light indicator, most of which are not working. In cases that it was working, it only allowed me to cross a huge road for less than 18 sec, so I have to run while crossing. You have to be careful on crossing within an intersection area, if you are not familiar on the change of the traffic direction, you have to be observant on where do the cars came from and on which direction they are heading to.

Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin Mosque is a beautiful, covering a huge area of land and man-made water. I did not bother to go inside the mosque but took few photos from outside. I tried to walk around its perimeter to have a 360 degree view of the building. At dusk, the prayer from the mosque echoes through out the city center.


I thought of Brunei as a very rich country and seeing the Mosque as a reflection on how rich their culture. But as I turn my camera just across the mosque, I saw a part of the water village that is not just of what I expected. No need to say more - same as other countries (simply like us), the difference of how people live is also visible.


Nearby the mosque, is the Yayasan Complex. I visited few clothing lines, a souvenir shop (where I bought postcards), until I bumped to our very own Jollibee.
After being warned by the Filipinos I met on the Souvenir Shop, I immediately bought my dinner and head back to the hotel. Don’t worry as the streets from Yayasan Complex to Jubilee Hotel are well lighted, but you have to always be careful especially when traveling alone on a foreign land.

2 comments:

  1. Apologies for the signatures on the photos, it was tagged as -taiwan, where it should be -brunei.

    You may also visit my Taiwan blog @ http://ruffeecola-in-taiwan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article, very informative for our Brunei trip planning.

    http://saventravel.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my travel tales! I'm a backpacker in Philippines and suitcase traveler in Asia. Love checking low fares and hotel hunting and mostly stay in the middle of the road. Addict in planning and sorting itineraries. Collection includes: paper bills, maps, photos, postcards, stamps and Starbucks mug. Travelling with Nikon D40 and Nikon J1. You can send in your questions about the places I've been to on my email address. Thanks!